At the heart of every organisation, big or small, is an idea and proprietary knowledge. It is what sets the organisation apart from competitors, and what is relayed to consumers to endure in their minds. Whether an invention, brand, logo, design, literary work, artistic work, image or trade secret, such intangible assets are valuable, forming the foundation of the identity of an organisation, and its revenue stream. Protecting and maximising the commercial value of an organisations intellectual property is as important as protecting any other business asset and that is why you need an intellectual property lawyer.
We can help protect the most valuable asset in your business in the following ways:
- Advising on whether your trade mark can be registered in Australia, and assist you to apply for a trade mark in Australia;
- Advising on the best structure to hold your intellectual property;
- Drafting and negotiating manufacturing, licensing, and distribution agreements;
- Reviewing advertising copy for compliance with trade practices laws, media regulations, and codes of conducts;
- Advising on infringement of trade marks and copyright, and related actions of passing off and misleading and deceptive conduct;
- Drafting confidentiality agreements;
- Drafting clauses within employment and contractor agreements targeted to protecting intellectual property, including deemed assignments, restraints and confidentiality;
- Advising on the protection of your packaging, labelling and get-up including passing-off and infringement;
- Advising on domain name issues, including cybersquatting.
At Aitken Lawyers, we can assist in you understanding what your intellectual property is, how to go about protecting it, and enforcing your rights.
Businesses put a lot of time and effort in developing their intellectual property, internally and out in the marketplace, at all times of the business life-cycle. It’s important then to put in place measures that mitigate the risk of competitors copying or infringing that IP, which is why it is so important to get advice from an intellectual property lawyer. There are also a number of regulations in Australia relating to branding and advertising that businesses need to comply with.
Don’t leave your IP protection to chance, speak to an experienced Intellectual Property Lawyer today on 02 8987 0000.